Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Story Before Mine

This is a post I've been wanting to write up for a long while and I guess it'll be a work in progress. I want to tell you a story. A story before mine. The story my Grandparents wrote together starting in Los Angeles back in 1948.


Guadalupe Cruz and Javier Meza (1948)



One of my favorite pictures on display at my Grandparents house was one taken on their wedding day, December of 1950. Sixty-Three years ago and the world was a different place. Los Angeles moved at a much different pace and was second to only Detroit when it came to producing automobiles. The city's population was half of what it is today at just under 2 million and although we still may not be producing more cars, we sure are producing more people, and in turn, more drivers.

Wedding Day ( Oct 1950)
 I was blessed recently with more family pictures when I was asked to make copies for the rest of the family. Pictures from the day Guadalupe Cruz said, "I do" and became Javier Meza's bride. All these years, two generations later I feel like I received an invite when I look at them. They say a picture speaks 1000 words. Well, I've got 6 of them PLUS a recording and they'll tell you a story alright. They'll tell the story before mine.



Grandmama getting ready. Her cousin and Maid of Honor, Josephine Nuñez holding her veil.
On her way to La Placita Olvera to say "I do".



Time to cut the cake. 




Cake for everyone.




Smile! You're married now.
  
     My Grandmama's cousin, Josephine Nuñez, was best friends with a major player in Los Angeles at the time. His gift to my grandparents on their wedding day was an 8mm camera, film, projector and screen. It's because of his gift that I am able to enjoy this footage 63 years later and share it with you.


 

 Thanks for watching. More footage to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment